Day 15


 Dropped Kim and Duane off at the airport. Shifted to the solo part of this trip. I’m still not 100% sure I know what I want to work on during this trip.  I have been spending time listening to the book Strength to Strength. The book is about how to live the second half of life. The book’s key points are:

1) The decline is coming. We shift from fluid intelligence to crystallized intelligence (wisdom).  

2) Redeisgn your ‘career’ to get a second curve as you fluid intelligence dwindles, try to make the career about service if possible

3) Stop questing for “success” (it is an addition)

4) learning to want less, rather than get more is a better way to feel satisfaction as we age.  What items do I hold onto that I could let go of (how strongly I hold my political views)

5) Ponder your death until you become comfortable with it. I think since Denny/Dad I am much better at this. I still should do the Maranasati meditation (death meditation) at some point.

6) To be happy - invest time in friends and relationships.

7) Know what you believe - faith - having a feeling of being part of something bigger can be helpful.


Overall the book is really good. The last part on religion was a bit too much for me given my background, but I do get what he is saying and agree with him. I do plan to figure out what it is I believe … 


So what are the actionable ideas from this book for me on this trip?

  • Maranasati Meditation
  • What do I believe
  • Ask Kim if she would want to read the book with me and discuss it
  • Cultivate friendships - Steph/Michale.  Advise Ryan on the benefits of having a partner.
  • Say it now (from podcast)
  • What do I want the end of this to look like? (From podcast)

I’m not 100% sure that the “how do I end this life well” is the right focus for this trip… I don’t even like how that sounds.  Another completely different idea is “how do I have a balanced routine for the next year”… I haven’t had a drink in two days and have started working out again… but I don’t’ see white knuckling that for the next year being the best experience for Kim and myself… so maybe I find a balance this trip that I can use over the next year… I’m going Kite surfing this afternoon instead of watching Daytona500 (trying to get into NASCAR)

Comments